Standard Lease Rules Stipulated by Ontario Landlord Tenant Board

 In Landlord & Tenant, N12 Notice of Termination, Ontario Landlord Tenant Board, paralegal firms Toronto, paralegal Newmarket, paralegal small claims court, paralegal Toronto, small claims court Newmarket, small claims court paralegal Newmarket

Are you looking to rent a place in Ontario on a standard lease? Or maybe you are a landlord who wants to rent out a space of standard lease? In both cases, the tenant and the landlord must have a copy of the latest standard lease based on the format provided by the Ontario Landlord Tenant Board

But before you sign the standard lease as a tenant or landlord, here are a few things you must know about standard lease regulations. Ontario Landlord Tenant Board

  • The new format for the standard lease is now available for you. Up until February 28, 2017, the use of the old standard lease format was permitted. However, from March 1, 2017, you need to use the new format for the standard lease. 
  • If you are renting out private living space, the landlord or property management must give you an easy-to-understand standard lease. As a landlord, this is your duty to hand out a standard lease.
  • If you are renting out care homes, sites at mobile home parks and land lease communities, supportive or cooperative housing, a standard lease is not required. 
  • A standard lease agreement must include information regarding the rent amount, the due date, what is included in the rent (parking, air conditioning), and the rules of the rental unit or building. 
  • The standard lease must include information about tenant and landlord responsibilities. For example, it must include information about who is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the space. When the landlord can enter the unit or do they allow guests or pets and more.

Apart from these things, you need to know that if your landlord hasn’t given you a standard lease, you must ask them in writing. This will prompt your landlord to give you the standard lease in 21 calendar days. If you still don’t get the standard lease after 21 days, you have the right to withhold one month’s rent. After 30 days of withholding the rent, if you still don’t get the standard lease, you can keep the rent by all means. However, you can’t withhold the rent for more than one month even if the landlord never gives you a standard lease. paralegal small claims courtNow, if all of this sounds complicated or you need more assistance, you can get in touch with our paralegal Newmarket at SW Legal Service PC right away. 

We are among the leading paralegal firms in Toronto that have the expertise to assist tenants and landlords in understanding the rent rules and regulations. We also assist in all the paperwork related to the same. Apart from this, we also assist law firms as a leading paralegal small claims court firm, corporate law, and criminal defense. Contact us now to know more.

Best Paralegal Toronto Barrie and Vaughan

Landlord and Tenant Toronto Barrie and Vaughan

Small Claims Toronto Barrie and Vaughan

Lawyer Toronto Barrie and Vaughan

Free Legal Advice Toronto Barrie and Vaughan

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search